Friday 17 April 2015

Sedge Warbler Take 2

Well I headed to Rutland to chase down the Sedge warbler that was playing hide and seek yesterday.
I went to the same place and sure enough there he was, well his song anyway. After 10 mins or so he popped up for a few seconds and I managed to get a few shots before he dropped back down in to the bush.  And the scores are now Sedge Warbler 1-1 Dave.

I managed to count 6 in total today around the reserve, hopefully plenty more will arrive over the next few weeks.

Sedge Warbler.

It now seems that the reserve is full of Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler, they are absolutely everywhere, I think they are competing with the gulls for who can make the most noise.

Willow Warbler.

Chiffchaff.

The lagoons look quiet now that the winter visitors have all but gone, don't get me wrong still plenty of birds about but without the Wigeon and Teal in there thousands its seems quiet.

I headed to Heron hide for a view of the Osprey's nest, with the hope that the male would land on the perch quite close to the hide but no luck.
You can see the nest from the hide but a scope would be a handy addition to your kit.

On the way back for a brew a few Hares started boxing on Lax hill field and I managed to get a quick couple of photos before they headed off.






After a quick brew I headed to Lagoon 3 as the log book said 3 Black Terns had been seen, I had an idea where they might be and sure enough I soon found one sitting on a red buoy right in the middle of the lagoon. Chance of a decent photo was then none existent but its a record shot.

Its a Black Tern Honest!!!

One Tern that was showing a little better was the Common Tern, I managed to count 6 in total.
Two from Heron hide and 4 from the other side of the reserve near Lapwing hide.
They are quite impressive to watch the size of a gull yet they manoeuvre more like a swift.

Common Tern.

Common Tern.

Common Tern.

While walking back to the car a little Wren popped up in full song, for such a small bird he has a fair set of lungs on him!!

Wren.










No comments:

Post a Comment