Saturday 27 February 2016

Long Billed Dowitcher at Rutland water.

I headed to Rutland early today after reading a report from a couple of days ago about a Long Billed Dowitcher that was seen on Lagoon. I set off not expecting much but got a surprise when I arrived as it was seen on lagoon 3 at 07:30.

I headed straight to shoveler hide and it was already getting busy.
The Dowitcher was showing well but at quite a distance but superb views for those with scopes.
It seemed to spend its time feeding up and down the spit.

Unfortunately it was on the limit of getting a photo, even with a 500mm a 1.4TC and a crop body giving 1120mm I had to settle for a very heavy crop.



On the way out I called into Buzzard hide, now I normally miss out this hide as nothing is ever seen from here yet I decided to have one quick look just in case and low and behold a Cetti's landed on the reeds before diving back in. I managed a few shots but one reed was in the way. But at least I managed a picture of these elusive birds. And learnt a lesson to check hides and not presume that nothing outside the windows.



No comments:

Post a Comment